Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bonnie & Clyde (1967)

I liked Bonnie and Clyde but it was definitely not my favorite movie but I did enjoy watching it. When I think about it, the fact that it doesn’t fallow historical facts to well, really bugs me. I completely understand when movies take artistic liberties to make it more exciting or have a faster pace, but in class when we were going over it not much seemed to be right; and I completely agree within the first five minutes it was established that it was doing its own thing for the movie. And although that irritates me a bit when I think about it now, when I was watching the movie I don’t think I cared that much at all. It seems to me all modern references of Bonnie and Clyde are references towards the movie, not the real Bonnie and Clyde, so when we think of Bonnie and Clyde we think of this movie and I can appreciate that iconic status of the movie and not get hung up on the fact that they really didn’t really fallow the historical events at all. I enjoyed this movie but the more I look into the real events, I feel like a remake could be made fallowing the historical facts more closing and be just as good and maybe even more entertaining to watch.

Moving on, I was a bit shocked when Clyde shot that guy in the face when they were driving. I think that had more to do with watching code influenced movies lately, so when he just shot through the window I wasn’t expecting them to actually show it. But I thought it was a great way to introduce Clyde’s cold-bloodedness because until that point I don’t think we see anything that “heartless”. However I wasn’t shocked at all at the ending probably because of being desensitized ( and used to the movie showing deaths/shots by then) and it gives signals with CW’s dad jumping under the car and the birds flying away- those signs have become extremely recognizable that something , their deaths, were going to happen. So I wasn’t shocked at all about that but I definitely could see how an earlier audience would be completely taken aback, not used to that kind of violence, and even I was a bit surprised that the movie came to a sudden end after they died, it’s like they’re shot at for 5 minutes – black – then the end. So I totally get how the ending was a big deal, when your not used to that kind of violence it’s a bit hard to swallow when its so blunt and in your face at the end.

OH and I wanted to add this picture of Clyde (end scene) in my Report, but there was concern it would give away the ending. So here it is, notice the squibs : ] yay for special effects!


2 comments:

  1. Lauren, I have to admit that when I saw the cars turning over, I thought back to your report and your explanation of how that was done.

    Actually, the people come around to look at them once they're dead, but no one remembers that because we're still shocked by the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Image courtesy of Bonnie & Clyde's Hideout

    ReplyDelete